Sunflower Sundial

Hello! Well, it's been a long time since I've posted any projects. Here is the long overdue one for 'something for the garden'...


While strolling through a flea market I came across a couple of sundials. It was then I was inspired to find and mosaic an interesting base for each.


For the first one I found a terracotta coloured cement-based sunflower at my local home & hardware store. The usual sealant was mixed up and applied.  Once it had sufficiently dried, I began cutting mosaic pieces in reds, oranges & yellows and started glueing them onto the petals of the sunflower.  A few dew drops in the same colours were also incorporated to give the illusion of water droplets.





Once the top petals were done, I moved onto completing the lower parts. 






The sundial was the last piece to be glued in.  After a suitable time for the glue to dry, a dark shade of grout was mixed with a waterproofing additive. This was then applied in the usual method.





The excess grout was scraped off.


           
 Once fully dry the sundial was cleaned and polished.


Here you can see it placed in a sunny position alongside a pool area. 


Thanks for visiting. I'll be posting something different in a bit, so check back soon. :)



Comments

Popular Posts